Conventions over Configurations

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Dec 14, 2006 at 12:59 PM
TODO write the description
Developer
Dec 14, 2006 at 9:20 PM
Given the succes of Rails, and its principle of Conventions over configurations, and given that conventions means less xml configuration to write, less code to maintain, i am thinking about the idea of applying that on our framework.
applying tha can be in deffirent levels, and we can even offer all the levels for more flexibility
1- using the conventions of the framework, which means the package name , the presenter name and the view contracts have a naming conventtions that can tell the container about each other, say a page that named LoginForm.aspx will have its presenter as LoginFormPresenter and its view as ILoginFormView , this way the cotainer can guess without reading any config where to find the needed classes...

2- user can specify the package name of the view (or presenter) , and the Convention (suffix to add for each of the elements) and the container will guess what left to guess...

3- user specifies an xml file with the configurations needed for the container to find the elements

the suffix that the naming convention provides will be applied to the elements that the container needs to find, which means if i tell the container about the view, with these conventions it can find the presenter, the same for instance if i tell it only about the presenter and i provide the package and the naming convention of views.

it can add a lot of ease to the use of the framwork, thats why i suggest it to be in the first release , even if that can mean more delay , the first experience of any product is the most important.
Coordinator
Dec 15, 2006 at 10:52 AM
This discussion has been copied to Work Item 6531. You may wish to continue further discussion there.